You may submit content to certain sections of our sites provided you do so in accordance with the Posting Guidelines below. However, you may not submit content if you are under the age of 13. By submitting content to any of our sites, you represent that you are age 13 or over.
Here are our “must follow” guidelines for participation to encourage civil discourse:
• No personal attacks or threats against other users or individuals; no libelous; harassing or abusive statements; no submission of personal information or likenesses of other persons without their consent; no stalking.
• No disparaging comments about a victim or victim's family in a tragedy.
• No attacks on individuals or groups based on race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity or other classification.
• No content that is obscene, vulgar or sexually explicit. This includes masked words (****), acronyms and abbreviations.
• No commercial product promotions or off-topic messages; no spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes or fraudulent or deceptive messages; no false claims of affiliation with any third party.
• No posting of copyright infringing material, or any material whose posting on our sites could result in infringement of any third party intellectual property or privacy or publicity rights.
• NO POSTS IN ALL CAPS. No posts in bold or highlighted with other HTML coding.
• No entries longer than 750 characters or continued in another posting. Content over that limit will be edited for length.
• Editors will still have the final say in interpreting these rules.
We ask that you stand behind the content you submit:
You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise have all necessary rights, including but not limited to copyrights, in all content that you submit to our sites, and that you have secured all third party consents, licenses, waivers and permissions necessary to submit such content.
• You represent and warrant that the content submitted by you will not infringe upon or misappropriate any rights of others, including, without limitation, any copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets or other intellectual property rights, rights of publicity, rights of privacy, moral rights or any other proprietary rights of third parties, or violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
• YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD US HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LOSSES, LIABILITIES AND EXPENSES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS’ FEES) ARISING OUT OF, RESULTING FROM OR RELATED TO ANY BREACH BY YOU OF THESE POSTING GUIDELINES.
Our take-down policy:
We have the right (but not the obligation) to review any content that you have submitted to our sites, and to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content that we determine, in our sole discretion, (a) does not comply with these Posting Guidelines; (b) might violate any law, infringe upon any rights of third parties, or subject us to liability for any reason; (c) might adversely affect our public image, reputation or goodwill; or (d) should be taken down for any other reason.
If you believe that any Content on any of the Sites infringes upon any copyrights that you own, please contact us pursuant to the procedures outlined in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (Title 17 U.S.C. § 512) at the following address:
150 W. Brambleton Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23510
How you can help ensure that conversations remain civil and in good taste:
• You will have the ability to flag any comment you believe violates the guidelines.
• We will review those flagged comments and take the appropriate action: If editors determine that a flagged post does violate the rules, the offender will lose his or her right to post without approval for a period to be determined by the editors. In other words, the offender’s comments will not be posted until an editor can review them.
You should know:
In the past, we have required users to register with a first and last name. Now, you can select an alias such as “The Green Hornet” and that alias will appear with your comment. However, the username you choose is governed by the same standards as other content submissions.